Command Line Versions
The DCN "Personal" Search Engine can be run in either in "standard" mode or "quiet"
"Standard" Mode (type index at the UNIX command line) will display feedback
the search engine as it indexes your files.
"Quiet Mode" (type indexq at the UNIX command line) will not display messages
while your files are indexed.
Excluding Files from the Index
There may be files in your public_html directory and below that you do not wish to be returned in searches.
The programs index and indexq look for certain files in the directory in which they are run
(details below) and use the contents of those files to exclude the web pages you select from being returned by
The format for the files is either one string per line, or each string separated by a space.
by title (related file is title.x)
- Web pages whose titles (i.e. text between <title> and </title>) contain a string in
title.x will not be indexed.
- e.g. If title.x contained the word "bicycle", then web pages with titles of "My bicycle
is red" or "Bicycle for sale" would not be indexed.
by path (related file is path.x)
- Web pages whose path names (including the filename) contain a string in path.x
will not be indexed.
- e.g. If path.x contained the word "apple", then web pages with paths of
"fruit/apple/red.html" or "inventory/apple.html" would not be indexed.
by filename (related file is filename.x)
- Web pages whose filenames are the same as a string in filename.x will not be
- e.g. If filename.x contained the word "plant", then web pages with filenames
"plant.html" or "plant_for_sale.html" would not be indexed.
using a stopfile (related file is stopfile.x)
- Any directories that contain a filename listed in stopfile.x will not be indexed
(nor will its subdirecties).
- If stopfile.x contained the word "nope", then web pages in a directory that contained a file
called "nope" would not be indexed. (This option is handy if you are using .htaccess files to restrict
access - just place .htaccess in stopfile.x so those restricted files are not added to the index).
Back to Main DCN "Personal" Search Engine Instruction Page
Copyright © 1996-2005 The Davis Community Network
Contact DCN Web Team
Last Revised: December 29, 1996